Thursday, February 11, 2010

Scents- Fun Science for Preschoolers

So, I mentioned this book (More Mudpies to Magnets) in an earlier post.  I found this experiment in it, and my kids had an absolute blast with it. And we've only just finished part one.

Grab a bunch of food items from your kitchen, some wax paper, cups/containers, water, hammer, and cutting board.  For food items, we grabbed: celery, lemon, onion, basil, parsley, red pepper and a hyacinthus flower bud.  We sat on the floor and each child chose a food item, placed it in the piece of wax paper, and pounded it with the hammer. We then proceeded to scoop the item into a cup/container and to pour just enough water over it to cover it.  And that's it!  Tomorrow we'll do part two (something about guessing the food item from just the scent without the item in it).  But my kids both had a blast pounding, smelling, scooping... 
Alhamdulillah, it's a blessing to find a good, wholesome, interesting activity to do with them from items I have in my kitchen!  Wish I had my camera...

No comments: