Monday, February 8, 2010

Sadness, Depression and Musa (as)

I was sitting at home yesterday, the third day into our Snowmageddon 2010, the third day of not really talking to anyone but my two little ones.  (My hubby is away on a business trip).  And I tend to get a bit sad, depressed when I'm alone like that, but alhamdulllah I've been holding up fairly well this storm.  Last night, I was trying to memorize some lines from Surat al Qasas, and read over the story of Prophet Moses (as) when he was in the utmost point of sadness, loneliness and depression that a person could be in.  He'd just heard news that the tyrant of Egypt had issued an 'arrest/assassination' warrant against him, he'd just left his country, his place of familiarity, he'd just left everything behind, and he felt bad, guilty, depressed over the man he had accidently killed.
He was in his utmost point of need, of being alone.  At that time, he reached out to Allah SWT, to his Lord, Savior, and Creator and said, "O Allah, save me from the wrong doing people."  And "O Allah, I am truly needy  of what you have brought down for me of good."

The call out to Allah, in the middle of our darkness.  Reaching out with our hands and our needs to Him, and He answering our call instantaneously.  What better story to illustrate it for us than the story of Musa alayhisaalam, in his darkest hour of need, calling our to His Lord and Creator, and never holding back from striving for ihsan, for good in his actions.  Right in the middle of this depression, of this intense sadness, he got up, and went forth in action.  He saw the two young women in need of help with their sheep, and he came to their help, then turned back to his Lord for His help. 

Alhamdulillahi rabil 3alameen.

No comments: