Thursday, November 12, 2009

Take One Step To Me...

My four year old daughter walks up to me and holds out her pajamas. "Mama, fix them for me," she says, indicating that her pjs are inside out. I get really annoyed. "Sumayya, do them yourself," I tell her. She gets annoyed and throws a small tantrum. And then I remind her to stick her hand in the sleeves and pull her hand out; it'll fix itself that way. She gives it a sincere try, and sometimes it works for her. When it's really complicated, I jump at the first sign that she gave it a try and help her out. All I want is for her to show me that she's willing to try. Then I'll help her. It doesn't matter to me how simple, how feeble her try is (though at least somewhat sincere), I want to help her out. I want to help her out, I really do, but I want her to show me that she's trying.

And so it is with Allah SWT, though we can't compare ourselves to Him in any degree. All He wants us to do is try. Give it a try. Make the effort. Show that you sincerely want to succeed, that you sincerely want to do this thing. Take the first step. Move out of your hole. Pick up that book on time management, sign up for that course on self-control, set up a schedule for yourself, set the alarm for fajr... And then He'll give us a thousand chances, help us out in a thousand ways, pull us out of our rut, out of our hole, and to success.... Show that we really care, and then He'll give us the lifeline, the rest of the steps.


I promise myself to start working on my patience, on my time management, on my home management, so that He can help me. Find out tips for patience, read up on and start implementing time management strategies, spend those fifteen minutes a day cleaning...

O Allah , you are my Lord. Bless me and give me sincerity and all that is good.

No comments: